Royal Icing Recipe
This 3-ingredient royal icing recipe is perfect for decorating cupcakes, holiday cookies, cakes and even gingerbread houses. Royal icing is easy to make, pipes smooth, and dries into a firm, candy-like coating.
- 6 Tbsp Bob Evans Egg Whites
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- In a large bowl, beat Bob Evans Egg Whites until frothy. Add vanilla.
- On a medium low speed, add powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time until all the sugar is incorporated, and the mixture is shiny. Continue beating on high speed until mixture is at a stiff peak stage.
- Add food coloring.
- Transfer to piping bag and decorate cookies immediately. Mixture should be stiff and hold shape when you pipe it. To get this consistency, add a little extra powdered sugar, if needed. Avoid making it too stiff as it will not adhere to the cookies. The mixture can be a bit looser for ‘flooding’ large areas of color.
- Allow decorated cookies to completely dry before storing in an airtight container. Icing should be hard. Use parchment paper to separate each layer of cookies.